Training Video

Home Forums Other Stuff General News Training Video

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sabre_wa
    Participant

During the Vic States a few of us discussed the prospect of a Sabre specific video that could be used as both a training and marketing tool for the class. Production would be relatively straightforward and could encompass both boat setup and tuning as well as a range of on water elements. I’d suggest we break the production down into some easily digestable segments that could cater for both new sailors and those more experienced in the art of Sabre sailing.

Perhaps we could use this forum as a mechanism for preparing the rundown for the video. Let’s get some discussion going on the aspects that should be covered. As a starting point we could look at the basics of setting up the boat, current trends with rigs and controls, perhaps a contribution from one or more sailmakers and then the tuning, boathandling, upwind and downwind techniques etc. could be presented by a selection of our class stalwarts. It would be most inappropriate to make specific suggestions as to our on camera talent for this project but maybe we could appoint a committee including Barry, Alan, David, Wayne, Maree, Phil, Fiona, Andrew G and several of the Johns to decide that amongst themselves…

To get the best on water video we will need some relatively flat conditions to accommodate a basic DV shoot from a stable support vessel. It may also be something that we can do in conjunction with one of the training weekends.

Clearly something for the benefit of the national association but if it can be done in Victoria I would be more than happy to assist with production and post production resources.

Once complete it can be put on DVD and duplicated for next to nothing.

Any thoughts??

Andy Mac

liamedleston
    Keymaster

Andy, I wasn’t part of the discussions at the States but I think this is a great idea.
    It will certainly be on the agenda at next months Vic committee meeting.
    Barry E

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Andy,

I think thats a great idea.

The more Sabre specific information and training we can provide the better the numbers in our class will be, especially to help encourage junior development and keep numbers healthy.

The dvd could be split into individual parts for the different skills sets addressed such as beginner , intermediate and advance.

Even the simple things like rigging up could be covered . Often you see a new Sabre sailor rigging up refering to hand written notes which have been passed down with the boat from previous owner.

Sabre 1061

James Bolton
    Participant

I think that you have just about covered it all with your suggestions for topics to be included. Put me down for a copy right now!!!! It would be most helpful as I am relatively isolated and dialogue with other sailors is not easy. The forum is great but seeing how others rig and sail their boats would be that much better, likewise the input from sailmakers. At Richmond River Club (Northern NSW) we had a fleet of one Sabre until just recently and now there is a fleet of two…….I’m working on it!
    Lea “Woohoo” 1679

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi Andy et al…

The national association does have some funds it can make available for the training video, but we can discuss that later.

I believe that this video will be of great benefit to all sabre sailors around the country and will also show that we are ahead of the international/olympic classes in Australia with the availability of a DVD.

In terms of shooting and needing to have a stable environment for the camera, some suggestions from personal experience:
    – filming at Albert Park Lake – shore and in the tower at the point
    – filming off a pier (say, Black Rock or Frankston) in windy weather may be a way to show how to “work” the boat downwind.

Another option that we may want to consider is looking to interview, get quotes from….some of the former sabre sailors that have go onto other classes and been successful??

Cheers,

Maree Early

salliemerry674
    Participant

hi all,
    The learners video sounds like a great idea, i have had a lot of juniours from Gippsland lakes yacht club training school asking me question on how to set up there boats better, but i can’t help because it’s out of my league.

I’ve been sailing the sabre for 3 years now, i’m still having trouble setting up my boat & i think this would be a great idea, to give to all clubs that have sabres sailing. Becuse would help me out a lot with the school.

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Did this Dvd ever happen??

sabre_wa
    Participant

Hi All

Training video is still happening. We got some good vision from the October 2005 training weekend but haven’t had the opportunity to capture anything more since. We’ll need to get Wayne or someone of equal distinction to perform some on water skills close to shore so we can shoot a few angles and ideally get some stuff suitable for slow mo (such as roll tacking).

If I can get a few more weekends off next season the project should come together quite quickly. We’ve cut a 3 minute promo from the Black Rock vision and it looks pretty good. Not sure what the sabre site capabilities are but if someone wants to get it encoded I’m happy to make it available.

Good sailing

Andy Mac
    1670 Rocket Science

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

andy is it possible to see the promo ??.. is it 2 big to email??or cut a cd and send to me??good to ssee you still here :) all good here in the land of the south!!..still havin lots of sabre fun!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General News’ is closed to new topics and replies.