Traveller configuration

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Traveller configuration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    deannev255
    Participant

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to rig the Sabre traveller?

Most of the time I let the traveller right out so it’s almost block to block when the mainsheet is fully on.

But I’ve also heard of some people securing the block in the middle of the traveller with a loop so the boom is always closer to the centreline.

Does this improve pointing?

andrewr
    Participant

Hi Ian,

In my opinion the traveller on a Sabre is largely a waste of time. Like you, I have mine let out all the time so it’s block to block when the mainsheet is is fully on (it’s around 32cm from the top of the thwart to the bottom of the traveller rope at its highest point. How high it is mostly depends on your mast rake). Use the mainsheet to stand the leech up straight going upwind until you are over-powered, then swap to vang sheeting when over-powered. With vang sheeting, the vang holds the sail in the correct shape and controls the leech. The mainsheet merely controls the in/out movement of the sail. In this arrangement, the higher the block on the traveller, the more the mainsheet is controlling the in/out movement of the sail rather than applying any tension to the leech, thus giving better gust response.

I never adjust the traveller, so I have tied my traveller it in position and taken the cleat off.

Alan Riley
    Zap – 1754

deannev255
    Participant

Thanks Alan

Will follow your advice and tie the traveller off at block to block height.

candyrowcroft8
    Participant

What are the tolerances for the holes through the thwart for the traveller? 5.2 says that the holes must be within tolerance but in the “Table of measurements” (line 75) the minimum and maximum are blank.

5.2 Mainsheet System
    Maximum 5:1 purchase – jamming cleats and/or ratchet block optional. Method optional but must run
    between slack-rope hawse on thwart to the boom then via a floor-attached block to the skipper.
    Holes through the thwart for the rope hawse must be within tolerances measured from hole centre to hole
    centre.

Thanks

Greg

liamedleston
    Keymaster

Greg refer to Diag #20 on page 46
    9mm hole. Plastic or metal ferules allowed.
    The intention is not to ahve a hole too large that might weaken the thwart.
    The recommended hawse thickness is 6 mm.
    Most of the top guys tie off the traveller so that you are block to block, although may need to tighten a little when it blows in order to get enough sheet tension.
    Barry Eastgate

candyrowcroft8
    Participant

Barry,

Thanks heaps for your prompt reply

My information came from the rules on the website: https://www.sabre.org.au/documents/RULES_March_08.pdf

This document only has 11 pages. Which document should I refer to to find Diag #20 on page 46?

Thanks

Regards

Greg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.