Updated 6/10/2014 Sabre 2004 under construction

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Updated 6/10/2014 Sabre 2004 under construction

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    asaj7265583042
    Participant

[attachment=1:2uu8b6al]534.JPG[/attachment:2uu8b6al]Hi All.

I thought it would be good to share a picture of a timber Sabre under construction as fibreglass seems to dominate lately. As I’m building it in a rental way up north I lack a lot of tools etc and other examples to look at.
    Harold, Barry and Phil have all advised verbally on various queries which has been great.
    I’m just faffing around with small components at the moment as I’m waiting for some cedar to arrive from south.

Regards, John, NT

BruceG
    Participant

Looking good there mate. Posting pics will help anyone wanting to build timbre in the future.

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thanks Aten,

Hopefully I haven’t double posted here as I had some trouble with the photo sizes. Yes I agree the home builder ( my excuse because I have no money !) should present on this site to encourage others to have a go and add to this wonderful class. I have owned 467,472, 282 and one other I think however it’s always been on my bucket list to home build. I do love the glass boats but they are out of reach financially at this stage.

More than happy to impart my limited build knowledge to other newbie builders.

Do people know that brown vinegar cleans resin brushes (BOTE COTE in my case). No nasty Acetone to poison yourself with.
    Cheap home brand plastic containers (2 bucks for five containers) are great for mixing resin and glues. Just let them dry and gently crush the container all round to pop out a perfect replica of the original vessel leaving behind a fresh container to do it all again.

BruceG
    Participant

How’s the boat coming along? Looks great in the pics.

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi Aten.

Thanks for asking. I’m waiting on cedar STILL so I’m doing all I can before the wet season arrives in October. We are heading back to Geelong at Christmas so will hopefully be mixing it up with the Port Phillip locals sooner than expected.
    Stringers and transom bits in this week (today). All bits have been hand cut on a saw horse as I have no real tools up here in NT.

John

thor
    Participant

John, your new boat looks fantastic. Well done and can’t wait to see her. When you get home (Geelong) give me a call, hope I am around so we can hit Indented Heads and go for a spin.

Murray

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi Murray , good to hear from you and thank you for your comments. It will be great to get back to Indented Head . I will definitely catch up to tune the new boat and check out your new one. I will be keen to get the younger ones into the club as well in the minnows. For now it’s head first into epoxy !
    Regards John

BruceG
    Participant

Looks real nice. Where did you get your ply from? Seems to be a lack of high quality ply around.

darrelcani806
    Participant

John

I have redecked two of my Sabres and clamped the deck into place rather than use nails. If you let me have your email address I will send you photos which will assist with the explanation. The build loos great.

Cheers
    Alan
    [email protected]

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hello Aten/ Allen

Thanks, yes it’s nice ply. I got it shipped up from Denham Marine in Tassie. It was fairly expensive but it’s Belgium made and is genuine British Standard not pretend. It’s easy to see that its good stuff as the face ply is thick so you wont sand down to the glue accidentally by rubbing too hard and I’ve only found one small void. A boat is built for a long time so I thought a little extra spent on the hull will be worth it down the track.

Alan. Hello.
    I will email you as I am now starting to ponder the decks and a little confused as to the desired method. I saw a website in Perth, (Boating Hardware ??) who had a unique method with pictures to help. All help on this step will be much appreciated !

Also, I’m wondering on what paint to use. All advice much appreciated.

Regards John NT

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi all.
    An update as of today 9th September. Lids are all on, thwart and stiffeners in and hiking area of seats glassed in 2 oz mat.

Regards

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Just an update. All varnished and painted. Thanks to all who have assisted in the build.
    Regards

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.