Venturies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    melaniecolston
    Participant

I am just about to fit the 2 venturis into a new boat. Any suggestions on the best way to do this and where to place them?. Do I need to put two in, can I get away with one?

What is the best sealant to use. Is Silicon still the best?

Thanks[/code][/list]

andrewr
    Participant

Hi,

The class rules determine where you can put the self bailers – so check the rules first. It is compulsory to have one up next to the centreboard case. If you put a second one in, it must be on the opposite side of the boat towards the stern.

Personally, I find one self bailer to be adequate. Some feel you need the second one in the stern for when going downwind in strong wind and waves because when planing the water collects at the back of the boat. However, I’ve only ever had this problem once – and that was because water was squirting up through the centreboard case like a fountain. My experience is that if you make your centrecase slot close to the minimum width (14 mm) the water doesn’t squirt up, so you don’t need the extra self-bailer!

I’m not sure what others use for sealant, but I use silicon.

Alan Riley
    Sabre 1564

Scott Olsen
    Participant

Agree. I find one ample – and also secured it with silicone.

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

hi- venturies- be careful when putting in a rear ventuy- i put mine to near the transom and it caused cavitation so bad that the rudder control was neutralised so i went swimming in big breezes – it is a problem-the futher aft the bigger the cavitation-the futher forward the bigger the puddle between the rear of the venturie and the transom

melaniecolston
    Participant

Thanks for your info. I am now only going to fit one.

I’m still a bit confused as the best way to do it. I thought the venturi had a plate to go on the outside of the hull but apparently not.

Is it OK just to put the countersunk bolt heads against the timber of the hull with no reinforcing under them as this would appear be the only other option?

A rubber seal has been provided which obviously goes between the venturi and the inside of the hull. Do I need to silicon the venturi as well.

I know these queries probably seem basic, but I don’t have any other boats to look at and never having done this before.

Thanks

Shane C

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi Eliza,

In SE Qld there are Sabre sailors who I am sure would be happy to chat and show you their boats.

To contact someone near Southport, call Rex, the Qld Secretary. Rex is an expert with timber.

To contact someone mid-way GC and Bris, try Rob, the Qld President.

To contact someone in Brisbane bayside area call Anne or Brian – the Qld Publicity Officers.

Phone numbers are on the Qld Sabre website.

If you are north of Brisbane, there is a Sabre sailor at Maroochydore (Peter B, refer Maroochydore SC website)

The next winter race at Cleveland YC is scheduled for 18 June 06. The Cleveland website has further dates etc. There are quite a number of boats stored in the clubhouse that you could inspect as well.

Sue

liamedleston
    Keymaster

I’ve found no problem with using 4 bolts to secure the venturi. You put these in from the outside of the hull, with the nut on the inside. With 5mm ply, there is enough thickness to have all the head of the bolt sunk into the ply, and to then cover it with a sliver of filler to get a flush finish. But you also then have the silicone giving extra grip to keep it attached. The venturi hasn’t moved/leaked at all – despite the inevitable occasional ‘collision’ with the dolley when retrieving the boat !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.