Winter Sailing Gear

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Winter Sailing Gear

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melaniecolston
    Participant

I am looking at buying some winter sailing gear. I have never used hiking pants with the fibreglass battens before. I this something I should be considering :?:

Can anyone make any other suggestions on how to keep warm. I don’t wan’t to get a full wetsuit because it is too hard to go to the loo.

Thanks

Eliza :mrgreen:

harvey6111
    Participant

Eliza
    I take the advice of my kids. Hiking shorts are not only desirable after using them they become almost essential. Both my kids use Queensport as I am told they are the best and exported all around the world (thanks to Brendan Casey). on top a thermal and spray jacket is all I wear although my daughter has a collection of lined rash vests also avaliable from Brendan Casey. Finally a good spray top and the kids prefer the breathable ones as you can wear them even in marginal conditions without overheating. On the feet you should have some form of hiking boots – Wayne wears the Harley Hanson type. Finally you might want to consider some form of leggins – lycra or thermal pants to both keep the legs warm and also stop that sailors tan. Maree claims that it does not look good in short skirts to have white thighs. She wears leggings all year around.

Stephen Early

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi Eliza,
    I don’t know where you sail, but when I sail in Canberra in winter, and the fringe months, I wear a drysuit, including complete rubberised booty attached to the dry suit. Then wetsuit boots over that, plus tracksuit under the drysuit.
    On Moreton Bay in winter I wear a rashie with fur inside, nothing extra apart from that.
    Of course, if it it at all cool I wear a beanie – that is the MOST important cool/cold weather sailing item to include.

On the hiking pants, well I am addicted to mine. I wear them all the time (when sailing that is). I wear a pair of knee-hi heavy duty stockings as well to bridge the gap between booties and the hiking pants. This avoids the tan thing stephen refers to, avoids need for sunscreen and avoids skin touching things in the water eg jelly blubbers.

Good sailing,

Sue

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi Eliza,
    I don’t know where you sail, but when I sail in Canberra in winter, and the fringe months, I wear a drysuit, including complete rubberised booty attached to the dry suit. Then wetsuit boots over that, plus tracksuit under the drysuit.
    On Moreton Bay in winter I wear a rashie with fur inside, nothing extra apart from that.
    Of course, if it it at all cool I wear a beanie – that is the MOST important cool/cold weather sailing item to include.

On the hiking pants, well I am addicted to mine. I wear them all the time (when sailing that is). I wear a pair of knee-hi heavy duty stockings as well to bridge the gap between booties and the hiking pants. This avoids the tan thing stephen refers to, avoids need for sunscreen and avoids skin touching things in the water eg jelly blubbers.

Good sailing,

Sue

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi Eliza,

Ha water isnt cold in winter!! come to Tassie to find out !!! hehe

just buy a pair of cheap thermals to wear underneath whatever else you are wearing and you will be fine! they heat up with your body temp keeping a nice warm sustainable comfort…

Rocket Man 1717

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.