Questions Regarding the QLD Nationals

Home Forums Racing & Regattas Championships Questions Regarding the QLD Nationals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hello,

Was having a quick look at some the details on the notice of race and associated information for the QLD nats, and I have a couple of questions relating to the following:-

Ques 1) It states that the club will be open from the 29th to drop boats off at the club. Given this is the first day of racing this would seem a little late. Competitors will be arriving from Tasmania, Melbourne ( and SA? ) mainly on the 28th.

With 2 days or driving and given most competitors are staying in motels or carravan parks, I doubt it will be possible to store a large number of boats at such accomodation over night.

Is it possible to have a club member available at the club on the afternoon of the 28th to allow sailors to drop boats off that afternoon / evening for the period of say 2 to 7 pm.

It has been noted that the lack of access to the club prior to the event was an issue for the last nationals in Qld, and we would hope to create a positive solution to the above before hitting the road.

2) The notice of race states that the majority of races will commence at 12.30. Is there a reason for the early start.

Is it to avoid the blow which comes in, in the afternoon? What time does the sea breeze usually arrive in summer.

The early start will see most races finished and boats back in and members having a beer by mid afternoon (3 oclock’ish).

3) Racers must finish within 30 minutes of the first person completing the course. If the nationals is to include people less experienced and it gets windy (people capsize etc), then 30 minutes may be a little on the short side. Especially for those who may come in at the 32 or 35 minute stage.

It would be disheartening to people who may be entering there first nationals (particualrly those who live in QLD and want to try sailing in a big fleet), and miss out on getting a result after slogging away for a couple of hours.

30 minutes seems correct if the racing was short course and they were occuring back to back, however this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for your help in regards to the above points.

Looking forward to a good series.

Travelling Sabre Sailor.

Scott Olsen
    Participant

Good points there – probably sums up what a number of people had been thinking, but hadn’t put down on paper as yet !

russellwren600
    Participant

Make way for my walking frame please…

I agree, some very good points made above.

With only one race scheduled most day’s it would seem more reasonable to have a start at say 2pm. This gives everyone a chance to relax, have a bite to eat, sail, pack up and then have a few Q.L.D’s as we do.

Obviously there might be a very good reason for having the start earlier?

Also, hope you Queenslanders are ready for the Sabre Cup each night…

It was decided last nationals it should continue due to popular demand…

The current holder which carried over from the Hobart Nationals is non other than the mighty “Fisty”…

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Fisty here with a warning. I have been training very hard so that I can defend the Sabre Cup. I am fully commited so that we can bring that monster of a trophy back to Tasmania. Some details of my training program:

– Every morning I headbutt a brickwall until I think I’m Ghandi.

– To increase the chance of having massive hangovers in QLD I have toned down my training to drinking only six nights a week. This way a full week of drinking will be a major shock to the system which will result in some appaling hangovers. My night off is a big sacrifice but as I said: I’m commited.

– I have developed a new way of sailing. It is called RPS. When there is a decision to be made, for example left side or right side of the course, my two hands play each other in Rock, Paper, Scissors to determine my chosen strategy. It beats thinking.

– I have a newly reconstructed shoulder which is prone to pop out.

– I never sail. Never. I live over 1000km from my boat. Sometimes I get in a cold shower and rip up $20 notes to remind me of the sensation.

Thats all the secrets for now.

Fisty.
    Boonie for ever.

russellwren600
    Participant

Well Fisty, glad to see you training hard.

I bet there’s other sailors training hard tonight.

Yes that’s right the defending national champion is stuck at the bar at Melbourne airport waiting for his very delayed flight to Tassie for a training weekend of sailing. You think I’m joking aren’t you about the sailing training, but this is about the only sailing training Wayno will get before the nationals. Master Bates is getting serious about the upcoming nationals so he decided to make his training more like the real thing. Drinking to all hours then getting up early to sail hard and thought, Tassie, that sounds like the place to go.

Wayne is actually making his way for a training weekend in Hobart and due to delay’s will disembark at Hobart airport at 1am and be picked up by nanna who should have been in bed hours ago…

That’s commitment Fisty…

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

The problem with Wayne is that he sails better with a hangover. For him the Sabre Cup is only a thing of dreams.

Fisty.

harvey6111
    Participant

The bad news for you all is that I plan to attend the Nationals and I am taking this series seriously. I have even completed a race to fine tune my skills so I am ready to go (as I suspect I wont sail again before the titles). My inexperienced daughter (Maree) has decided not to sail as she will be sking in Norway during that time. So I guess all I can do is have lots of fun sailing and enjoying the company of the sailors and support crew who attend. I hope others who keep me company in my part of the fleet also sail. I can not imagine having a christmas without a nationals.

Stephen Early

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi,

I contacted Rob Jackson from Qld Association as we have had no response to these queries as yet:-

1) We have asked Qld Assoc to have the yacht club gate open on the day prior to measurement ie Thursday, to allow boats to be dropped off and trailers to be left there- waiting on confirmation on time windows.

2) Race start times are flexible depending on the weather. NOR states not before 1230 (except when morning race is scheduled). Reason for this is apparently storms come in at around 3pm so we need to be off the water by then, and the seabreeze is due 11am

3) We haev requested Qld Assoc- provide some shade, last time we took our own shade tent- Qld to respond

There are a number of key items which we discussed and recommend all sailors take into consideration before leaving:-
    * write boat sail number on trolley for quick collection by trolley dollies
    * strong shoes are needed for rough boat ramp
    * double shockcord for rudders as jellyfish push rudder up
    * extra drink bottles

The Qld committee need volunteers. Any assistance is welcome including trolley dollies !

Hope this helps your planning

Fiona McCulloch
    Vic President

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi all,

There are also some tips listed on the Qld Sabre website.
    A few extra pieces of local advice will be added shortly.

Winnie the Pooh

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

From Goondiwindi we southerners have a choice of entering Brisbane either through Warwick or Toowoombah and you get differing views of which one to use- When travelling to the last Nationals with John and Phil we came in via Toowoomba and returned via Warwick- personally i found the Toowoombah Rd much more comfotable even though leaving Toowoombah was a bit scary as it had the feel of driving off the edge of a cliff- having said that i still think it is an easier trip- This will be my first away Nationals in a decade that i have not travelled with John Seeber (he passed away 14 months ago) and yeah I am really going to miss him

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi,

If you come in via Toowoomba you may end up paying a toll on part of that road into Brisbane – depends where you turn off.
    If you come in via Warwick you can do the Beaudesert route and avoid tolls.

Personally I find the trip from Goondiwindi to Brisbane a REAL drag – its 100k limit in Qld (which seems SO slow after the NSW rural limit). As a consequence I prefer the coast road. Although there are some 80k stretches, it is overall pretty good, and the distance between towns makes for better planning for stops, and the rest areas are shady.

An additional bonus with coming up the coast is that once you get to ‘the border’ you are nearly here and that makes the trip much more palatable.

All personal preferences of course.

By the way, if you have an etag it will work up here on the toll roads the same as in Sydney or Melbourne. I originally got one when I lived in Canberra (no toll roads) cause it makes travelling thru major cities SOOOO much easier.

Apart from the toll on the road from Toowoomba to Brissie, there is also a toll on the Gateway Bridge. But if you go over that on the way here you have overstood the mark!

Winnie the Pooh

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hello sailors,

A further link has been added from the Qld Sabre site ‘Sailing on Moreton Bay’.

I hope you all find the information useful. I have included website sources as well as pdf file links, so that if the latter are a bit slow you can cut ‘n’ paste the link and do your own research.

If you are not familiar with the wind rose, I suggest you explore the BOM site and check out other locations apart from Moreton Bay. It is certainly an interesting comparison tool.

Don’t expect to be placing any further information unless it is of a more ‘official ‘ nature from the exec.

Remember entries need to be in REAL soon,

Safe driving,

Winnie the Pooh

Scott Olsen
    Participant

Getting close now…..

Now that the early-bird pricing is complete – can we have an update on the numbers of entries ?

Also – just wondering about measurement. The NOR says that we have to present a sail, and foils signed by our state measurer. Does it matter when they were signed – eg is last year OK ?

Cheers

Andrew

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

Gee Andrew i thought of all people you would know the rules- a committee person too -i don’t believe it

Scott Olsen
    Participant

….I thiought I knew the rules, but the way the NOR is written it looks like they’ve been relaxed. Just want to confirm it !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Championships’ is closed to new topics and replies.